• blog
  • art
  • illustration
  • comics
  • exhibitions
  • info
  • home

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Music is my friend...

Here's a random post about music... since I've been pretty much a hermit in my studio working on my book, sometimes music is my only friend (except when Anna comes over to distract me).

Music is very important to my creative process. It inspires me, drives me, or just entertains me when I'm working on something kinda tedious. Pictured below is the little stereo in my studio along with all the c.d.s I've been listening to this month while inking my graphic novel.
The c.d.s include: Deathspell Omega's Kenose, Eric Satie's Piano Music & Melodies box set, Xasthur's Subliminal Genocide, Don Caballero's World Class Listening Problem, Penderecki's St Luke Passion and Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, Shostakovich String Quartets, Painkiller's Execution Ground, Corrupted's Llenandose de Gusanos, The Bee Gees box set of their first three albums, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation and Rather Ripped, Charles Mingus plays Piano, The R&B Years 1947 box set, Eye Hate God's In the Name of the Suffering, Scott Tuma's The River, Jesu's 1st album and Conqueror, Brian Eno's Ambient 4 & Here Come the Warm Jets, Bright Eyes Lifted and 4 Winds ep, and Trollmann av Dotoppberg... and on my iPod, I've been listening to a bunch of other stuff including the complete Norman Granz Jazz at the Philharmonic, a lot of ISIS, Converge, Willie Nelson, and Modest Mouse... I could go on and on...

I have also listened to 3 good books on tape: The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth, Picasso's War by Russel Martin, and Ulysses by James Joyce.

While on the subject of music, I've begun recording a soundtrack for my upcoming solo show at Black Maria Gallery. It's a lot of fun to be making music again. I haven't done that in years. It's a great distraction from my drawing schedule. The end result may be a big, noisey mess that no one would ever wanna listen to, but it's still exciting to be working on something different. Here's where I make my music:

1 comment:

orangehairboy said...

Whoa! Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima is great! I have that CD somewhere, too.

It sounds like you should really check out Gyorgy Ligeti's work, if you haven't already. In particular, his late era piano Etudes are great, though I can't find a set of complete recordings.