• blog
  • art
  • illustration
  • comics
  • exhibitions
  • info
  • home

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Melvins Comic Book progress...

Here are the first few pages of the Melvins comic book I'm working on for Hydra Head Records. (click for larger view)







As some may notice, the first page is influenced by several of George Grosz's street scene drawings. There are other pages in the story that are similarly homaged to Grosz and Daumier.

The words that the Talking Horse are speaking are what I have deciphered as some of the lyrics to songs from the album. Though, forgive me if some of them aren't completely accurate- I couldn't get the lyrics from Buzz because he said they were never "typed out." So, they are what I think I heard in some of the songs. The character who pulls the horse's head off is supposed to be the Blood Witch (track 2 of the album). And in the last couple of panels of page 6, you can see The Civilized Worm (track 3), an armless legless man creeping into the picture.

These are all the preview pages that I'll be posting. You'll have to get the book for the rest of the story.

The full book should be right around 22 pages. I'm not sure when it will be released yet- some of that depends on how fast I can finish the book. The book is for a limited edition box set from Hydra Head Records. I will also probably do some mini-comics versions to take to comic conventions this summer.

4 comments:

R. Standfest said...

Man, this is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l stuff! I love the Grosz homage, but most of all the terrifically rich use of black beginning with the trickle from the horse's neck. I've always loved black ink blood in comics, and you, along with Al Columbia, use it well. My first time viewing your work-- a great introduction. Look forward to exploring more...

Cheers,
Ryan Standfest

John Tells All said...

wow! I'll buy a CD just for the artwork. Haven't heard the Melvins in a while so it'll be good to check them out again.

Matt Ahearn said...

Excellent artwork. When will the vinyl/comic book set be released?

MikeHell said...

Sweet! Looks awesome! I've heard from a semi-reliable source that one of my friends ended up being a character in the comic (I'm guesssing this is the one)...he got kicked out of the show in Charlotte a couple of years ago and apparently made such an impact on Busso and Co. that they wanted to base a character on him...can't wait to see if this is the one! That is, unless I've missed it and am out of luck.