• blog
  • art
  • illustration
  • comics
  • exhibitions
  • info
  • home

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Check out my friends: Part 2

Okay, this guy isn't an artist, an animator, or a cartoonist... I'm sure anyone who would be on my site probably already knows him, but I thought I'd post about him anyway...

Greg Saunders is a helluva guy... He's my best friend and all that crap... But he's also the man behind the best little political blog around- The Talent Show, and he's the co-writer/co-director of Brother, Can You Spare a Job? the anti-Bush political cartoon that I animated in 2004.

About 10 years ago I was at a diner called Village Inn in Tulsa, OK. I went to the men's room to wash my hands, and there I found a guy who was washing a Conan action figure in the sink and laughing. He then looked at me, pulled a string in the back of the Conan figure and it started rapidly moving it's arm as if it were masturbating. The man holding the doll started laughing hysterically and ran out of the men's room. I was a little disturbed and thought perhaps the guy was a bit challenged.

A couple of weeks later I met this guy again, and it turned out to be Greg. He wasn't retarded or crazy, just a guy with a great, though sometimes warped, sense of humor. We soon became best friends and were inseparable for all our years in Tulsa. When I moved to San Francisco, he moved to L.A. and began working at Disney as a systems administrator for their websites. When I finished school in S.F. I moved to L.A. and he helped me get my job at Disney.

A couple of years ago he started his blog, The Talent Show, and he is brilliant. I read it first thing every morning. He also posts regularly at This Modern World, the blog of the political cartoonist Tom Tomorrow. Greg recently got married to Kristen who makes cool purses and stuff. (and i designed her logo, too!)

No comments: